The aim of the course is to provide the necessary knowledge for perform thermography correctly and efficiently on electrical equip-ment, the aim being to prevent fires occurring.
If this course is not available in your country, please contact with your member training.
Thermographers who work on electrical installations to pinpoint possible defects, including fire risks.
• Technical qualification which is at least equivalent to that of a trained electrician and
• Training and education required under national legislation to be able to work on electrical installations and
• Practical experience in thermography of electrical installations. The participants have to bring their own thermographic equipment.
At the end of the course the student has the knowledge to use non-contact temperature measurements of electrical equipment and connections in all levels of voltage detect and evaluate thermic abnormalities. This knowledge is required by CFPA-E-guideline No. 3:2003 / F as one of the prerequisites for certification of thermographers.
• Thermodynamics and radiation
• Infrared measurement techniques
• General operation of equipment used for thermography
• Overview of application of thermography
• Structures of energy distribution systems
• Ageing of electrical contacts and connections
• Heating by electrical current
• Electrical equipment for high-, medium- and low-voltage
• Typical limit temperature of electrical equipment
• National standards and legislation
• Practical exercises
• Evaluation of temperatures
• Documentation of measurements and evaluation
See also CFPA-Guidelines No. 3:2003/F para 5.1
CFPA-Guidelines No. 3:2003 / F
Written examination and a case study presented in writing or orally.
©CFPA EUROPE 2023