What place for fire and intrusion protection systems against artificial intelligence? A […]
What place for fire and intrusion protection systems against artificial intelligence?
A seminar and a technical report to take stock…
by Information & Media Centre, ANPI – National Fire and Intrusion Protection Association, Belgium
A technical repor
In the coming decades, we may face technological risks of various origins, and the development of artificial intelligence (AI) could be part of it, as an ally or as an adversary. In response, the security sector must examine these potential risks in the context of analytical efforts, forecasting programs, risk assessments and uncertainty management. This can involve significant policy and coordination challenges, but given the high stakes, security actors must take reasonable steps to take full advantage of the potential benefits of these technologies while minimizing the risks.
ANPI has published a technical report to take stock of the importance of AI for fire and intrusion protection systems. This report aims to give a first image of what AI is and what its challenges and possibilities are. Definitions are given, notably through standardization activities and regulations, at international and European levels. Possible applications, or those already under development, are outlined in various areas of security. Due to the uncertainty and opacity of AI systems, the focus is put on risk management, in designing a technology that should combine robustness, trustworthiness and ethics.
This technical report is published in French and Dutch and will be available through ANPI’s e-shop on,www.anpi.be, in paper and electronic PDF format – 20 pages.
– ANPI Technisch Dossier DTD 168: Welke plaats voor beveiligingssystemen tegenover artificiële intelligentie?
– ANPI Dossier Technique DTD 168 : Quelle place pour les systèmes de protection face à l’intelligence artificielle ?
On the occasion of the publication of its new Technical Report, ANPI organized a study day on December 6, 2019 intended to raise professional awareness of the challenges among company security managers, decision-makers, technical and building managers, security and intervention services, etc.
This seminar aimed to give a more distinct picture of what AI is, and what the challenges and opportunities are for the sector. It provided a better view of the foreseeable impact of AI in the area of security (fire and intrusion) and helped to explore possible avenues.
Speakers (from left to right):
– Florian Vandecasteele, firefighter and engineer at Architects for business & ICT, shed new light on current AI research in the usage of information techniques, in particular BIM tools, video information and thermal image footages to support fire forecasting and fire behaviour analysis;
– Jelle Hoedemaekers, ICT Standardisation Expert at Agoria, the Belgian technology sector federation, presented the international AI standardisation landscape, the ISO working groups and activities, focusing on the Risk Management developments;
– Yannick Gillet, Specialist in AI and robotics, provided an initial insight on the AI functioning and capabilities;
– Benoît Stockbroeckx, Head of Division of ANPI Laboratory, insisted on the upcoming AI developments in fire and theft protection;
– Hervé Jacquemin (absent on the picture), Professor of law at the Namur University, gave a focus on certain legal questions raised by the use of AI (liability, contract, etc.) in industrial and technical settings.
Who is ANPI?
ANPI, the Belgian National Fire and Intrusion Protection Association, is a permanent information tool for safety and security professionals: prevention consultants, manufacturers, installers, users, fire departments and authorities. The purpose of ANPI is to promote its activities through its 5 Divisions: Information, Regulation and Standardization, Laboratories, Certification and Inspection.
Contact: Delphine Rasseneur, communication manager – ANPI, Information & Media Centre firstname.lastname@example.org
T: +32 (0)10 47 52 11
F: +32 (0)10 47 52 70
©CFPA EUROPE 2022